The keys to perfect buttery soft crumb shortbread is using the best creamy tasting butter and handling the dough as
little as possible when you press and roll it into shape.
- 85 grams / 3 oz of icing sugar
- 85 grams / 3 oz of castor sugar
- 280 grams / 10 oz of butter
- 450 grams / 1 lb of flour
- Preheat your oven to 140°C (284°F)
- In a large bowl cream the butter, icing sugar and castor sugar together.
- Sift the flour and mix with the other ingredients to form a crumbly dough.
- Divide the dough into two and place one directly onto parchment paper.
- Press and roll it out to a rectangle, about 8 mm (¼ inch) thick.
- If the dough sticks to the rolling pin you can roll it with a 2nd piece of parchment paper covering the dough.
- Cut into rectangles or squares.
- Dot each with a fork twice and place onto a baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the shortbread is just slightly golden and crunchy.
- Makes about 40