- Peppermint Marshmallow
- For the bases:
- 200 grams of butter, melted
- ½ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of cocoa
- ½ cup of coconut
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 cups of crushed cereal, cornflakes, weet-bix, rice bubble/crispies etc.
- For the marshmallow topping:
- 1 tablespoon of powdered gelatine
- 60 mls of cold water
- 1 tablespoon of light honey
- 1 cup of sugar
- 100ml of cold water
- ½ teaspoon of peppermint essence, or to taste
- pinch of salt
- red food colouring
- For the bases:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (356°F)
- In a large bowl combine the butter with the remaining dry ingredients, until they are all well coated.
- Press heaped tablespoonfuls of the crumbly mixture down into small patty tins or tartlet moulds.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until firm.
- Leave to cool in the moulds before releasing the bases carefully.
- For the Marshmallow topping:
- Place the gelatine and first measure of water in a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer and leave to
- In a medium sized saucepan place the honey, sugar and 2nd measure of water.
- Stir continuously over a gentle heat until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, boiling steadily for approximately 15 minutes watching all the time until the
mixture reaches 115°C (239°F).
- Turn of the heat and wait 2 minutes for the mixture to cool slightly.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the swollen gelatine and beat for 10 minutes until the marshmallow is very thick
- Add the peppermint essence and salt and beat again briefly.
- Remove ½ cup of the marshmallow to a 2nd bowl and add a little red food colouring to it.
- Using a piping bag place a small strip of red marshmallow done one side and full the remaining bag with the white
- Pipe neat mounds of marshmallow onto each of the chocolate bases and allow to set for several hours in a cool dry
- Any remaining marshmallow can be piped into "kisses" on a greased sheet of baking paper and rolled into a
mixture of cornflour and icing/confectioners sugar when set.