Continuing with my fight against the nasties inside giving me headache and fever,
I really needed something a little bit spicy and most definitely comforting yesterday.
In the fridge I had some lovely chicken thighs from my mate Pete, the Westwood organic chicken man and also a big bag
of broad beans. (Some of you will know these better as Fava beans.)
Sadly I wasn't on the ball enough to sow our own broad beans last Autumn so we are relying on the farmers market to
get our fix this year.
While granted not the most attractive meal, this take on a White Chili (being made with chicken and white beans as
opposed to a beef chili with red beans and tomato) was just what I craved.
- Chicken and Broad Bean White Chili
- 4 Chicken Thighs, preferably from free range / organic HAPPY Chickens! - with or without bones
- sunflower oil
- 20 grams of butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves or garlic, minced
- 1 small green chili, minced with or without seeds
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of ground chili
- 1 x 400 gram can of cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups of chicken stock or water, approximately
- 1 cup of broad / fava beans, podded, blanched and outer skins removed
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream (optional)
- fresh coriander
- salt and pepper
Some more tasty Broad bean / Fava Bean linky loves:
Potatoes, Smoked Fish and Broad Bean Salad - Lucullian Delights
Bean and Green Pea Tartine - La Tartine Gourmande
Spinach, Fava Bean and Quinoa Cakes -
Basmati Rice and Broad Bean Salad - The British Larder
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels and place in a roasting dish, drizzle with oil and season well. Bake
the thighs for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium-high flame and add the butter and onions and sauté until softened.
- Add the garlic and chilli and continue to cook for a minute or so.
- Stir through the remaining spices, cannelini beans and enough chicken stock to cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile roughly chop the baked chicken thighs and add them to the simmering beans.
- Finally fold through the broad beans just to heat through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Taste and add more chili, salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve the white chili on steamed rice, with some warmed tortilla or bread and with plenty of fresh coriander and a
little sour cream if you like.
- Serves 4
You might also like my:
Smokey Chorizo and Broad Bean
Broad Bean and Avocado Dip
with Tapenade Straws