A couple of weeks ago we had a few of centimetres of snow, not much, but it hung around long enough for our wee man to
experience making his first snow person, taste and fling a few handfuls towards his sisters.
Of course any play in the snow creates mega appetites so we were all very glad to come back inside for this Bowl of
- Sunshine Rice Bowl
- 2 to 3 orange sweet potatoes or kumara, peeled
- ½ a small cauliflower, broken into florets
- coconut oil or other vegetable oil
- 3 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- ½ cup of dried currants
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of tamari
- ½ cup of roasted pistachios, chopped
- fresh coriander / cilantro or parsley as desired
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (360°F)
- Chop the sweet potato into pieces roughly the same size as the cauliflower florets and place into a large shallow
baking dish. Dollop a few teaspoonfuls of coconut oil on top and roast in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring
occasionally until they've gained some colour and cooked through to your liking.
- Meanwhile add some more coconut to a large frypan and sauté the onion and celery until soft.
- Add the brown rice and stir well until heated through.
- Mix in the currants and tamari to taste and set aside to keep warm until the sweet potato and cauliflower are
- To serve - place spoonfuls of the Sunshine rice mixture into deep serving bowls, top with the roasted vegetables
and sprinkle generously with the pistachios and herbs.
- Serves 4 to 6