Dips are always fun and quick to prepare. This recipe also makes a great spread in sandwiches or burgers and would be
ideal as a purée to serve under grilled meats.
- Broad Bean and Avocado Dip
- 1 cup of broad beans, fresh or frozen, skins removed
- 1 avocado, peeled
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced finely
- ¼ cup of plain unsweetened yoghurt
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon of chilli powder, to taste
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- In a small saucepan of water bring the broad beans to the boil, drain and refresh them in ice cold water.
- Add the blanched and drained broad beans, avocado, minced garlic and lemon juice to your food processor or blender
and whiz until smooth.
- (Alternatively you could mash them together in a large bowl with a fork or potato masher.)
- Add ground chilli, salt and pepper or more lemon juice to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish and chill until you are ready to serve with Tapenade Straws (see below), Tortilla chips
or toasted Pita crisps.
- Makes approximately 2 cups.
- Tapenade Straws
- 1¼ cups (200 grams / 7 oz) of plain all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 125 grams (4¼ oz) of cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 125 ml (4¼ fl oz) of cold milk
- 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
- ½ cup of Tapenade *click for recipe
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (392°F)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl or food processor.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and rub into the flour either with your hands or using your food processor, until
it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Combine the milk and vinegar together, it will turn and go globby not unlike buttermilk.
- Add the milk to the flour mixture to make a soft moist dough dotted with butter.
- On a lightly floured bench or board bring the mixture together just until it forms a ball.
- Handle as little as possible to prevent the pastry from becoming hard when baked.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry into a rectangle until it’s approximately 5 mm (1/8 inch) thick.
- Spread one side of the pastry with the tapenade and fold over.
- Press the layers together carefully and slice into thin 1cm wide strips.
- Place the strips on to lined baking trays and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden.
- Makes around 40 straws.