- Lemon Meringue Pie
- For the Pastry:
- 200 grams / 7 oz of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- a good pinch of salt
- 125 grams /4¼ oz of butter
- 50 grams / 2 oz of castor sugar
- 1 egg
- For the Lemon Curd Filling:
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ cup of cornflour/cornstarch
- 1½ cups of cold water
- 3 to 4 lemons, the juice and finely grated zest
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 50 grams / 2 oz of butter
- For the Meringue topping:
- 5 egg whites
- ½ cup of castor sugar
- a good pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (392°F)
- To make the pastry crust:
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl or food processor.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and rub into the flour either with your hands or using your food processor, until
it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the castor sugar, eggs together and add to the mixture to make a firm dough.
- On a lightly floured bench or board knead the mixture until it forms a smooth ball.
- Handle as little as possible to prevent the pastry from becoming hard when baked.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- On a lightly floured board or bench carefully roll out half of the pastry until it’s approximately 5 mm
- Line a 23cm pie dish and prick the surface with a fork, line the inside of the pie shell and fill with baking beans
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the crust is golden and cooked through.
- Remove the baking beans and set aside.
- To make the Lemon Curd Filling:
- Place the sugar, cornflour, cold water and finely grated zest in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Over a gentle flame heat the curd, stirring continuously until it begins to thicken.
- Add the beaten eggs and butter and continue to heat and stir through until very thick.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice, adding more to taste as desired.
- Pour the lemon curd into the cooked pastry shell and top with the following meringue.
- To make the Meringue topping
- In a very clean and large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer place the 5 egg whites and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk until soft peaks form and then gradually add in the sugar a little at a time until the meringue is thick,
smooth and glossy and all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Spoon or pipe the meringue over the lemon curd filled pie shell and bake for a further 8 to 10 minutes until the
meringue is golden.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Serves 8 to 10