We have been enjoying this salad with an abundant supply of lovely fresh Spring Lambs lettuce and Miner's lettuce
from the garden. It's lovely with pork, but chicken and lamb also work really well. I make the salad with real
zesty NZ grapefruit as they are my favourite, but sweeter grapefruit, oranges and tangelo will work also - although you
may prefer to omit some of the honey from the dressing.
- Grilled Pork Fillet, Grapefruit and Lambs Lettuce Salad
- 2 pork fillets
- 4+ cups of Lambs Lettuce (a.k.a mache or corn salad) and miner's lettuce
- 2 avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 to 3 grapefruit, peeled and segmented without pith, plus the juice
- ½ cup of toasted pistachios
- 4 tablespoons of best extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- flakey sea salt and pepper
- Bring the pork fillets to room temperature and pat dry.
- Season well with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Heat a dry skillet over a medium-high flame and pan-fry the lamb fillets for 6 to 8 minutes each side, until
medium-well done to cooked through.
- Rest the meat in a warm place while you assemble the rest of the salad.
- Arrange the salad leaves, avocado and grapefruit segments on 4 serving plates.
- Slice the pork thickly across the grain and place on top of the leaves.
- Sprinkle with pistachios and drizzle over the following dressing.
- For the dressing:
- Combine 4 tablespoons of quality extra virgin olive oil, with 1 tablespoon of honey, Dijon mustard and the reserved
grapefruit juice from the segmenting preparation.
- Season to taste.