These cupcakes are prepared in a quick muffin style, but filled with a sweet surprise of creamy Matcha custard they are
definitely worthy of cupcake status. I prefer to simply dust them with Matcha but you could also easily frost them with
- Lemon Matcha Custard Cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cups of caster sugar
- 80 grams butter, melted
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- Matcha - green tea powder to dust
- For the Matcha Custard filling:
- ¾ cup of milk
- ½ cup of caster sugar
- ¼ cup of cornflour
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of Matcha
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Combine the sugar, melted butter, milk, beaten egg, vanilla and lemon zest in a pouring jug and beat well.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and slowly pour in the wet milk mixture.
- Fold the batter until it just comes together and everything is hydrated.
- Fill small cupcake cases or greased silicone cupcake moulds ¾s full, reserving approximately ¼ of the
- With a wet spoon make a well inside each cupcake and place a heaped tablespoon of the custard (below) inside.
- Top and cover the custard filling with the remaining cake batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and the cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and dust with extra Matcha powder or ice with Matcha icing.
- Makes 16 to 18 small cupcakes
- For the Matcha custard:
- In a small saucepan place the cold milk, sugar and cornflour and stir to dissolve.
- Gently heat over a medium flame stirring constantly until the mixture thickens stiffly.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the yolks, vanilla and Matcha powder.
- Allow to cool slightly.