This fudge is a real winner - with or without ice cream!
- Russian Fudge
- 525 grams / 1 lb of white sugar
- 125 grams / 4¼ oz of butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons of golden syrup, or light molasses
- ½ cup of full cream milk
- 200 grams / 7 oz of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Grease or line a 20cm square cake pan.
- In a large heavy based saucepan mix together the sugar, butter, syrup, milk and sweetened condensed milk.
- Gently heat over a low flame for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring continuously to melt the butter and completely dissolve
- Stop stirring and gently bring to the boil.
- Boil for 5 to 8 minutes, watching continuously and lowering the heat as necessary so as not to burn or boil over.
- Continue cooking until the fudge reaches 120°C (248°F) on a candy thermometer or the "soft ball"
- Immediately remove from the heat and add the vanilla.
- Using an electric beater beat the fudge for 4 to 5 minutes or until the fudge is thick and creamy.
- Pour into the previously prepared cake pan and smooth out with a spatula.
- Score lines into the fudge to make breaking into pieces easier once cool.