This Ice Cream cake is sure to be the devil's work.
Rich caramelised condensed milk and luscious vanilla ice cream topped with decadent Russian fudge; it's best served
in small slices.
- Dulce de Leche Ice Cream Cake
- 2 litres of vanilla ice cream
- For the Dulce de Leche:
- 1 x 400 gram can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 good pinches of sea salt
- To serve:
- Russian Fudge, crumbled - see recipe here
- To make the Dulce de Leche
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Boil your kettle.
- Place the sweetened condensed milk into a non-metallic, ceramic or pyrex baking dish and sprinkle with salt.
- Cover the dish with tinfoil and place inside a bigger roasting pan to act as a bain-marie / water bath.
- Pour boiling water around the baking dish to reach ¾ of the way up the sides.
- Bake the sweetened condensed milk for 1 to 1½ hours, checking every 20 minutes to top up the surrounding
- Remove from the oven and give it one final good whisk when it has reached a glorious caramel to ensure a smooth
- Allow to cool and chill until ready to use.
- To make the cake:
- Line a 20cm round cake tin with two layers of plastic wrap.
- Soften the vanilla ice cream for 5 to 10 minutes depending of the temperature of your kitchen.
- Gently swirl half of the Dulce de Leche through the ice cream.
- Spoon the ice cream into the prepared cake pan and tap or gently drop the pan onto a wooden board to raise any air
bubbles and smooth the surface.
- Cover with plastic wrap and return to the freezer to firm for 2 to 3 hours or until ready to serve.
- Invert a chilled plate onto the ice cream cake and flip to release.
- Peel off the plastic wrap.
- Pour the remaining Dulce de Leche over the ice cream cake and top with crumbled Russian Fudge.
- Serves 12 to 16 or more!