Remember those sophisticated hors d'oeuvres of dates stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and grilled. Well
this is the dessert version! Don't knock it 'til you try it - it's the right mix of creamy, salty and
- Devils Horseback Ice Cream
- For Date and Cream Cheese Ice Cream
- 2 cups of full cream milk
- 1 cup of dates, fresh or dried, chopped
- 3 egg yolks
- 150 grams / 5 oz of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125 grams / 4¼ oz of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup of full cream
- For the Caramelized Bacon Bits:
- 3 to 4 rashers of lean streaky bacon (preferably from free ranged - Happy pigs)
- 2 tablespoons of soft brown sugar
- To make the Date and Cream Cheese Ice Cream:
- In a large saucepan gently heat the milk with the chopped dates, set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks, caster sugar and vanilla.
- Pour the warm dates and milk over the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Return the mixture to the cleaned saucepan and gently stir over a medium heat until the mixture thickens slightly
and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl beat together the cream cheese and cream until well combined.
- Fold through the date egg mixture.
- Chill the mixture for several hours until ready to churn in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturers
- Or alternatively place the mixture in a suitable container and freeze, whisking every few hours until creamy and
- To make the Caramelized Bacon Bits:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Lay the bacon strips on a lined baking tray and sprinkle the soft brown sugar over evenly.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, turning the strips after 5 to 6 minutes to brown and crisp up the second side.
- Once evenly caramelized and crispy, remove from the oven and lay the bacon strips over a cake rack to cook and
- Once cooled chop finely.
- Fold the caramelized Bacon bits through the soft Date and Cream Cheese Ice Cream and return to the freezer to firm
until ready to serve.
- Makes approximately 1 litre.