|I think it's fair to say my fairies and I are addicted to these scones. They make a special Sunday
brunch as well as afternoon, morning or anytime treat.
Nutella makes them quick and super simple to produce however if you have the time (or the leftovers), chocolate ganache
works well too. If you prefer not to use cream you may substitute milk, however cream obviously gives a richer more
- Nutella and Pear Pinwheel Scones
- 3 cups of flour
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of milk powder
- A pinch of salt
- 75 grams / 3 oz of butter
- ¼ cup of white sugar
- 50 grams / 2 oz of plain yoghurt
- 1 free range egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup of cream
- ¼ cup of milk
- ¾ cup of Nutella or chocolate ganache
- 1 large pear, peeled and grated
- Preheat the oven to 210°C (410°F)
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, milk powder and salt. Sift the dry ingredients twice more
to ensure they are well mixed. Rub the butter in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Toss through the
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, yoghurt, cream and milk. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the
liquid mixture. Mix together lightly and quickly to make a soft dough, do not over mix or the scones may be tough. On a
lightly floured board or bench carefully roll out the dough to form a rectangle approximately 30 x 40cm.
- Spread the rectangle with a generous amount of Nutella and grate over the pear.
- Taking up the edge closest to you gently roll the dough up to form a tight spiralled log.
- Slice the log into 10 even portions and place on a baking tray leaving room for the scones to spread. Bake for 15
to 20 minutes or until golden.
- Makes 10