Gnocchi alla romana is a very soft and kind dish, it is exactly the right thing to eat when you feel that if the whole
world is turning against you and you wish you could be a child again and have your parents protection. In other words,
it is perfect comfort food! - Recipe & Words courtesy of Ilva
- Gnocci alla Romana
- 250 grams / 8.8 oz of semolina flour
- 1 litre (1000 ml)/4.22 cups of milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 100-200 ml / 0.42-0.85 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- a large knob of butter, melted
- In a medium saucepan cook the milk and the semolina flour until it has thickened and become like porridge.
- Add the egg yolks, a pat of butter and salt and stir well.
- Pour out the whole batch out onto a flat surface, preferably lined with baking paper, and smooth and flatten it so
that you have a large rectangle that is 1 cm high/thick.
- With a greased glass or a cookie cutter so that the semolina doesn't stick, cut out circles. You can also
simply do it the easy way and cut squares with a knife.
- Put the semolina circles into a buttered oven-proof dish, sprinkle the cheese over and pour melted butter over the
top of whole dish.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 200°C (392°F) until it is golden.
- Serve warm.