It has taken me a long time to appreciate the taste of radishes. Although I've always loved their colour, shape and
size - as a child I always found them too spicy to eat. The taste would linger for the remainder of the meal,
overstaying its welcome and making everything, even most upsetting - my dessert(!) taste of this "icky hot
However these days if the radishes are extra tiny and young I quite enjoy them - especially if, as in this salad, they
are sliced paper thin and coupled with the sweetness of crisp apples and carrot.
- Apple, Carrot and Radish Salad
- 2 sweet red apples such a Splendor or Pacific rose, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 tiny radish, thinly sliced
- a handful of garden fresh salad greens
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- toasted walnuts, chopped
- sea salt flakes
- Layer the sliced apples, carrot, radish and greens on 2 serving plates. Combine the lemon juice, olive oil and
cayenne pepper in a shaker and drizzle over the salad.
- Sprinkle with toasted walnuts and flaked sea salt.
- Serves 2