I love to share kisses with my sweetheart and he has a special affection for anything related to sponge cake, citrus and especially Meyer lemons, so these particular kisses are always a great hit with J.
Cheekily he remarked that some of the kisses look like they had their tongues hanging out.
Say what?! French kissing Kisses?! - now they would be sure to make some of our older Aunts *blush!*
Anyway I digress, these Kisses are for another sweetheart of mine, a sweetheart that sadly I’ve never met, I know this sweetheart only through food blogging and emails, perhaps you know her too?! I think she is the definition of a “sweetheart“.
She is generous and kind and has an enormous heart of gold. She is made of all things nice and makes beautiful, stunning pastries with sugar and spice.
- Meyer Lemon Kisses
- 2 free range eggs
- ¼ cup of caster / superfine sugar
- Grated zest of one Meyer Lemon
- ¼ cup of plain white flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- extra caster sugar to sprinkle
- 200 ml (7floz) of whipping cream
- Meyer Lemon curd or Lemon honey - see recipe below
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Line a baking sheet tray with cooking paper or a silcon mat.
- Whisk the eggs and caster sugar with an electric mixer or beater on high until the mixture resembles a thick stable foam and a mark from a spoon dragged through the mixture doesn’t disappear.
- Add the lemon zest and continue beating until well combined.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and very gently fold the flour in with a large metal spoon.
- Gently drop tablespoonfuls of mixture onto the lined baking sheet to form approximately 32 even sized rounds and leaving some room for spreading.
- Sprinkle the tops with a little extra caster sugar.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until they are light golden and spring back with a light touch.
- Remove to a cake rack covered with a clean dry tea towel and allow to cool.
- Whip the cream together with a couple of tablespoons of lemon curd to taste.
- A few minutes before serving place two of the halves together with a spoonful of the curd flavoured cream and a little extra lemon curd.
- Makes 16 Kisses
- Meyer Lemon curd
- ¾ cup of white sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons of cornflour (cornstarch)
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of Meyer lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Grated zest of two Meyer lemons
- 2 egg yolks
- 40 grams (1½ oz) of butter, cubed
- Stir the sugar, cornflour, water, lemon juice and grated lemon zest over a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved
- Continue to heat gently until the mixture has thickened somewhat.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks and butter.
- Continue to cook over a bain marie until the desired, fairly thick consistency has been reached.
- Pour into a sterilised jar and use as required.